17 Large Conventions Select Kansas City, MO
July 11, 2018
Visit KC announced 17 major convention bookings for future years, marking a fruitful first half of 2018 for the organization. Representing the corporate, religious, health science, sports and educational market segments, these events will cumulatively generate more than $174 million in local economic impact based on a calculation using the combination of attendance and room nights.
The largest event announcement is the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) Quadrennial General Conference, which will be held in 2028. AME is acknowledged as the first major religious denomination in the Western world and includes members in 39 countries on five continents. AME will attract an estimated 30,000 attendees and will generate more than 25,000 room nights during its stay.
Additionally, KC-based Cerner recently extended its contract through 2021. Cerner held its first meeting in KC in 1988 and, since 2007, has consecutively hosted its annual meeting in Kansas City. This year marks the return of the organization’s Annual Health Conference, which will bring nearly 14,000 attendees to KC in the fall.
Other conventions included in today’s announcement:
- Midwest Sports Productions will bring 256 premier fast-pitch teams to KC for its World Fast-pitch Championships, July 9-15, 2018.
- UBM Life Sciences — Veterinary is an educational conference for veterinarians, technicians and practitioners. This convention returns to KC in August 2019, attracting 7,000 attendees and generating 6,500 room nights. This group has held its meeting in KC since 1989.
- LifeVantage is a burgeoning science-based nutraceutical company that will return to KC in June 2019, bringing an estimated 6,000 attendees and generate 2,900 room nights.
- National Association of Credit Management (NACM) is an organization that has advocated for business credit and financial management professionals since 1896. In May 2021, Kansas City will host an estimated 1,700 NACM members, who will generate 6,000 room nights.
- The National League of Cities will convene its City Summit in November 2022 and will bring an estimated 4,000 municipal officials and local government experts from across the country to KC, generating 15,500 room nights.
- The American Dairy Science Association will, for the first time, bring its annual meeting to KC in June 2022. An estimated 2,000 dairy science professionals will generate 3,400 room nights.
- Railway Systems Suppliers, Inc. is a trade association that serves the communication and signal segment of the rail transportation industry. The group will bring an estimated 1,600 attendees to KC for its May 2022 annual exhibit and trade show, which will generate nearly 3,200 room nights. The group last met here in 2001.
For more information go to: VisitKC.com.